Wednesday, January 13, 2010

First Day


Monday was a big step in my life--I started college. Yes, I am now a Freshman! I was able to find my classes early and was able to get to all of my classes on time. I was a little disappointed that no big fireworks displays went off when I stepped onto the campus; no trumpets blaring; no confetti; and no choirs sang, “Oh, Catrina, you have finally come!” Nope. I was just one of many students starting the spring semester of college.

My first class was Beginning Algebra with Mr. L. Mr. L. is an older grandpa kind of guy--nice and with a sense of humor that is difficult to detect at first. We didn’t do any actual work or learn anything--he just talked about the syllabus (he usually pronounces it “silly-buss”, which I find cute) and then met us (he took longer because he has a walker) down at the math lab. Then we were done.

My Comp1 class was 10 minutes after my Algebra class ended. I had to rush through a few buildings to get to it but I’m pretty sure I made it on time. The teacher for that class was a nice lady (Mrs. Sc.) and, it turns out, she’s a Christian. Because of an exercise she did in our class, I found out that there are several other Christians in that class. She also talked to us about our syllabus and gave us an assignment: to write an introduction letter with one ore more concepts(?) that she gave us in it.

I had an hour and a half between Comp1 and US History 1492-Civil War Era, which I used to call Mom and letter know that I had made it so far, and eat lunch. Then I was off to that class. Now, the teacher of that class, Mr. X. was pretty nice, too, but more eccentric than the first 2. He had some gray hair on the top of his head but it was extremely thin and he had a large, round nose. But the most interesting thing about him was his way of speaking, which I found comical at times. I loved how he said “e-mail” (EE-MAY-uhl) and “that”. So he was a nice teacher but it was a 3 hour long class so it wasn’t very exciting. Though I thought I’d had a good night’s sleep, I found myself fighting to stay awake. I saw some other students laughing quietly. Then I realized why--someone was snoring. I looked back and sure enough, there was a guy laying face down on the table, snoring. It wasn’t loud but we could all hear it--Mr. X seemed unfazed as he talked on and on. The history itself was interesting but I think Mr. X’s way of teaching was not very exciting. The good thing, though, he is not one of those anti-American teachers.

Introduction to Theatre is by far the funnest but also the most colorful class. There have been a few choice words said during the class by the teacher. But I get to sit on the floor! That is a wonderful experience after running around half the day (upstairs, downstairs, up mountains, down valleys, across oceans, etc.) and sitting in not-exactly-the-most-comfortable chairs. We even got up and did a little acting exercise. The people there were fun to hang around and we all got along well.

So at the end of the day, I was pretty tired and hungry. So I came home, ate, watched a little T.V., told my parents about my day, and went to bed.

So there you have it: Day 1 of my College Freshman year. It was a pretty good day.

2 comments:

Grandma G. said...

I appreciate hearig about your day. How was it to go to scholl with others? Too bad they don't have home school college. I'm sure that you will do great. Enjoy what you can and tolerate what you have to. You are growing up way to fast. I love you and am very proud.

Cat said...

Sorry I never got back with you!

I have gone to school with others before--I was in co-op for several years. But I really like college.

I love you, Grandma!
Catrina