Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Cussing. Is it Something God Approves Of?



A while back I became curious as to exactly WHY Christians aren't "supposed" to cuss. I wanted to make sure it wasn't some only partially Biblically-based thing. I looked it up once but didn't look into it deeper until I was prompted recently. I just don't cuss. It's not that I hate people who cuss or anything--I just wish they didn't do it. The sound of others cussing around me puts a bad taste in my mouth and that was pretty much good enough for me most of the time. But, as a Christian, it's good to figure out why most Christians believe something is right/wrong so you can see if it's just some tradition based off some verse that makes you want to ask, "WHY exactly did that make you think what you do?" (If something like that is merely a man-made tradition, no valid Biblical base whatsoever, what's the point in abiding by it?)


Actually, the verses below are very helpful and clear this cussing thing up for me, especially after looking the verses up on Strong's Concordance to clarify anything that seems vague.

-----------------

But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy* language from your lips.” –Colossians 3:8
*foul speaking, low and obscene speech (Strong’s Concordance)


I have to say I would like to look more into the first three things that verse talks about, specifically the part about not being angry. I mean it's impossible to NEVER be angry. I mean, even Jesus became righteously indignant (more than a littlel angry) in the Bible. Anyways, I'll have to look into that...
-----------------

"Let there be no filthiness* nor foolish talk nor crude joking**, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving." -Ephesians 5:4

* (Strong's Concordance) obscenity, filthiness
**(Strong's Concordance)
in a bad sense
a) scurrility, ribaldry, low jesting
**(Merriam Webster) 2 a : scurrilous or abusive language b : an offensively rude or abusive remark
---------------
Anyways, so those are a few verses I've found concerning cussing in the Bible. I hope that if there are any other Christians out there who were wondering the same thing I was that this has helped them.

3 comments:

John said...

I've also often thought about this, and I totally agree with what you said. I've never used profanity, and I never plan to.

Anonymous said...

Good writing!
Totally thought out and well put together.
It's always good to be able to share with someone what you believe.

Kim said...

I think you did a great job on finding your answer. I do have a comment on this about how I was raised. My Dad(step) always said that cussing just showed a persons intelligence, although he would slip everyone in awhile.
Just thought I would share my reason.
Have a blessed day,
Kim in OK